This dish is packed with meat and veggies, which is all great things. Plus, it’s filling and satisfying, trust me. It just can’t get any better than that for a dinner meal! Especially for me, since it’s the evenings where I cheat the most with what I eat. I seriously could eat so clean and great all day, and then come and have carbs in my dinner and a huge bowl of ice cream for dessert, even if I’m not hungry. Damn, I just can’t say no to ice cream. I had this meal a few evenings ago, and I felt great after. It was just such a satisfying dish and meal, that I din’t want to dive my head into a bowl of ice cream. But, I can’t shake my evening sugar tooth, so I had a little bit of greek yogurt with enjoy life chocolate chips instead. It was perfect. Don’t worry ice cream, your’e still my favorite…FAVORITE.
I only stuffed 2 peppers for my husband and I so we had a ton of the meaty veggie mix left over. We had it as leftovers the following evening, with no peppers, but topped with guacamole. It was fantastic.
Turkey Stuffed Peppers
what you need: (makes 8 – 10 stuffed peppers)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 – 5 green or red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 zucchini
- 2 small carrots, peeled
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup cilantro
- 8 oz can tomato sauce (I used Hunts basil, garlic, and oregano sauce)
- juice of 1 lime
- 10 oz cauliflower rice
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt/pepper to taste
- slices of pepper jack cheese (*optional, Not Paleo)
what you do: (takes 40 – 50 minutes)
- Heat olive oil and minced garlic over medium heat in a large skillet. Add ground turkey and cook until meat is brown and all the way cooked through. Turn off heat.
- Cut zucchini, carrots, and zucchini into large cubes. Add them to a food processor and pulse until ingredients are shredded. It should take about 7-10 pulses. Add tomato and cilantro. Pulse another 3-5 times.
- Add ingredients from the food processor and cauliflower rice to the skillet with the meat. Mix together on medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, oregeno, paprika, and salt/pepper. Mix together and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Slice peppers in half length wise, and remove the seeds and trim down the insides.
- Place peppers on a baking sheet lined with foil. Stuff peppers with the meat mixture.
- Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 min. (*Optional, add a slice of cheese on top of the peppers at minute 15 and cook for the remaining 5 minutes.)