Happy Friday! Happy beginning of Easter Weekend! You guys, my husband and I get a whole weekend off together! So excited! I get so overwhelmed when weekends or days like this come up (they don’t happen too often) because I want to fill our time with something fun and eventful, so the pressures on! If we are indecisive or just don’t know what to do, we will end up sitting around the house staring at each other trying to figure it out. But we made a point to figure it out last night, so we have some things planned, and also some downtime, which is nice. Date night, yoga, a hike, dyeing Easter Eggs, Easter Sunday Service, brunch, and visiting with family are some of the things we are going to be doing. OK, maybe I’m wrong on the downtime part. 🙂
I love these plantain sandwiches! It’s funny because I’ve made this simple meal multiple times, just sausage with my Plantain Fries w/ Spicy Honey Mustard Sauce but I like to get creative and change things up so the sandwich was created! My husband thought it was a new meal and recipe, silly him didn’t know it’s the exact same thing he’s eaten multiple times, just with a different presentation. 🙂
Sausage Plantain Sandwiches
what you need: (serves 2)
- 4 pack pre-cooked chicken sausage (I used al fresco)
- 2 plantains (the less ripe, the better)
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- spicy mustard (optional dipping sauce)
what you do:
- Peel your plantains and cut them to the length of the sausage. Cut the extra plantains into bite size slices. Take the skin off the sausage (optional). Using a sharp knife, cut the plantains length wise 3 times, to get 4 slices out of one plantains. Shave off the 2 sides that are round to make them flat. Toss the shavings away. Using the same knife, cut the sausage length wise 1 time, to have two halves. Shave down the round edges to make it flat. Set sausage shavings aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Lay 4 slices of plantains, and some of the bite size plantains and fry for 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt over them, then flip plantains and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove plantains and set on a dry paper towel. Add the remainder coconut oil and repeat with the last of the plantain slices and bite sizes.
- Add frozen spinach to the skillet, with 1/2 cup of water. Saute until spinach is cooked down. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet, add all the sausage, to heat and brown the edges. Remove from heat.
- Lay 4 plantain slices down on a plate. Add a piece of sausage on top, then add spinach. Lastly, add one more plantain slice on top.
- Eat up using a fork and knife. Optional dipping sauce…spicy brown mustard.
- There will be left over sausage and plantain bites. Enjoy those too, of course. 🙂