Caprese Salad is the perfect side dish next to a chicken breast, or other cooked meat. It’s filling, but light enough to complete a dinner. I love the taste of fresh basil, just love it! This dressing is also a perfect reference for a go-to salad dressing. You can make it ahead of time, and use it throughout the week.
Valentine’s Day is in 4 days! I get excited for Valentine’s Day but I do find other celebrations more meaningful and more exciting than Valentine’s Day. I’d take an anniversary celebration over a Valentine’s Day celebration any day. I feel like Valentine’s Day is a day to express your love to your significant other in a special way. Whether that’s a sweet note with flowers, a special breakfast in bed, making his/her favorite cookies, or leaving a card and chocolates in their vehicle so they find it on their way to work, etc, etc. But, I feel like those cute little things should be randomly done anytime of the year! My husband and I do little things like that that make the other person smile and feel loved, not just on February 14th. But, February 14 is still a day specifically devoted to celebrate love. Add celebrating love as another thing that makes me happy, right next to ice cream!
what you need: (serves 4, side dish)
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese ball
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
what you do:
- Cut mozzarella and tomatoes into 1/2 inch side round slices
- Layer the cheese and tomato, every other, on a plate.
- Tuck a basil leave in between every other cheese and tomato.
- Make dressing. In a small measuring cup, add balsamic, olive oil, mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic. Whisk until completely combined.
- Pour half of the dressing over the mozzarella and tomatoes. Set aside the rest for additional dressing, if necessary.
- Cut using a sharp knife, while eating. Make sure to get the mozzarella, tomato, and a piece of basil in every bite! 🙂