It’ that time of year again! Valentine’s Day calls for yummy paleo cookies in our household! This has been the fifth Valentine’s Day that I have made these types of cookies (some sort of paleo cookie with a chocolate heart) for my husband for Valentine’s Day. He looks forward to them every year. Last year, around 2 days before Valentine’s Day he hinted that he’d been craving the cookies that I make every year. I usually make them the weekend before Valentine’s Day, so he can enjoy them for the week, and last year for whatever reason I lagged on making them. Poor guy, he thought he was getting jipped. The chocolate heart makes is not strict paleo! There’s an option of adding “paleo approved” chocolate chips, instead of the Dove Chocolate Hearts.
Valentine’s Day Almond Meal Cookies (Gluten Free & Paleo)
what you need: (makes 12-14 cookies)
- 1-3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3/4 cup un-sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup raw honey, melted (if needed)
- *Optional 12 – 14 pieces dark chocolate heart-shaped chocolate (Not strict paleo) OR 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (Paleo approved)
what you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking pan with a non-stick baking spray. (I used coconut oil spray)
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, almond flour, coconut flour, shredded coconut, coconut sugar, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a small mixing bowl, egg, almond milk, almond butter, and honey. Whisk until completely combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix on high with a stand mixer, or stir very well, until ingredients are combined.
- *Optional…fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- Place batter in fridge for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Roll 1-1/2 inch size balls onto a baking sheet. Batter will make 12 – 14 balls. Slightly flatten with your hand, so the bottom part is flat. (Don’t over flatten)
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place cookies on a cooling rack.
- Cool for 10 minutes before eating.
- *Optional…If you did not add chocolate chips…After cookies have cooled…Place 1 dark chocolate heart-shaped chocolate on top of each cookie. Press down lightly, so the chocolate is halfway in the cookie.