Happy Hump Day! You guys, I finally went through and organized all my photos from April 2015 to December 2015 and got them developed! I should be getting them in the next few days. Then I need to add them to my photo album, because I’m old school like that. January and February are my months to do these little things that I’ve been wanting to do, but never made the time to do. These months are slow with not much going on, so it’s perfect.
I make fried egg whites with vegetables almost every morning for breakfast. I like yolk, but I have to enjoy it scrambled. So when I do fried eggs, I just do the egg whites. I like that all the ingredients stick together, so it’s like one large egg pancake! It tasted fabulous in a quesadilla form. Anything would taste fabulous in between 2 tortillas with melted cheese. True story.
Fried Egg White Breakfast Quesadilla
what you need: (serves 1)
- 1 piece of sausage (about 6 oz) or 2 pieces of bacon
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons green onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato, diced
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1/2 small avocado or 1/4 large avocado
- pinch of garlic and onion powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice (I used sharp white cheddar)
- Sour cream and salsa, to dip
what you do:
- In a small skillet (4 – 6 inches) add your meat (sausage or bacon) and cook until almost brown.
- Add green onion and tomatoes to skillet, saute with the meat for a few more minutes.
- Crack 3 egg whites into the pan, reduce heat and simmer. Sprinkle salt and pepper on cooking eggs.
- Once the top of the egg whites are somewhat cooked (they will not be jiggly), flip it over (just like a pancake) and cook for an additional few minutes.
- Mash avocado on one tortilla. Sprinkle onion and garlic powder on the avocado.
- Place the pancake egg white on top of the avocado tortilla and add the tortilla back to the skillet, egg side up.
- Add shredded cheese on top of the egg and place the second tortilla on top.
- Bring heat to medium high and cook until tortilla becomes brown and crispy (about 3 minutes). Flip tortilla and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Cut into quarters with a pizza cutter.
- Eat with sour cream and salsa.