Seriously, this is the longest name ever for a salad! I wanted to make sure the important ingredients were in the title. I even had to cut it back some. Here’s what I wanted, Maple Roasted Butternut Squash Apple Kale Chicken Salad, with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette. Yep, a little much there. I made this salad the other night for dinner, and my husband and I just couldn’t get enough of it! I’ve been on this salad kick. But, not just lettuce and dressing salad kick. More like a loaded full meal salad. I started to make one a week for dinner and getting creative with ingredients. Yesterday I made a Kale Cobb Salad with a healthier homemade blue cheese dressing. That will be on the blog next week! (Thumbs up emoji!) 🙂
what you need: (serves 2 for lunch/dinner, 4-6 as a side dish)
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 8 cups kale salad mix
- 1 apple
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup balsamic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon mined garlic
- pinch of salt and pepper
what you do:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut off the ends of the butternut squash. Peel the squash with a vegetable peeler, until you see the bright orange color of the butternut squash. Once it is all peeled, cut it in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds, then cut the squash into cubes. (Pictures below.)
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and place your butternut squash cubes on top. Drizzle olive oil, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and cinnamon on top and mix around with a spatula until every cube is coated.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove squash and stir it around. Cook for an additional 20 minutes. Once it’s done, set it aside to let it cool for at least 10 minutes on the pan. You can then transfer it to a bowl if you’d like, or just keep it on the pan.
- While the butternut squash is cooking, prepare your dressing. In a small mixing bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
- Peel and cut apple into small cubes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add kale salad mix, chicken, apple, goat cheese, and almonds. Toss all ingredients together. Add your dressing, toss again. Salad is ready to serve! I like to toss my salad in a big mixing bowl, and then transfer it into the serving bowl.