Last week, I posted a recipe and talked about how I still have the little kid in me, when it come to chicken nuggets and fries. Well, that goes for grilled cheeses too. I grew up eating buttered toasted fake wheat bread, with american cheese (as my family and I liked to call it, plastic cheese) and it was delicious. However, the fake bread and cheese just doesn’t tickle my fancy anymore. I like to sophisticate and add better ingredients to make a simple grilled cheese into something more and better. It pairs perfect with Trader Joe’s Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup. It just can’t get any better than that, and it’s a 15 minute meal! I needed simple, non-time consuming meals this week for dinner, since we are in the process of moving, AGAIN. We have moved and over committed ourselves to people and things in the past that has caused us to move around more than we would have liked. We have decided we are done! This is the last place we are moving to, until we purchase a home. At that point, we would be dancing around the place listening to some good tunes, packing up with joy! We project this being just about 1-2 years away. Yipee! Now, go make yourself a grilled cheese and find the little kid in you. You’ll enjoy it, trust me.
what you need: (makes 1 sandwich)
- 2 pieces of bread of choice (I used Ezekiel Low Sodium Sprouted Whole Grain Bread)
- Chive and onion cream cheese (I used Philadelphia Chive and Onion)
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 2 pieces of bacon or turkey bacon
- Sweet Onion (a few slices, depending on your liking)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- White Cheddar Cheese (1/4 – 1/2 cup, depending on your liking)
what you do:
- Slice onions, grill with olive oil until they become translucent (about 7 minutes). Set aside.
- Cook bacon, cut in half. Slice avocado. Shred cheese. Set aside.
- Toast bread on the lowest setting on your toaster (just to get them a little hot and toasted)
- Spread cream cheese on 1 side of each piece of bread.
- In a small pan over medium heat (I used the same pan I used for the grilled onions for extra flavor), add one piece of bread, cream cheese side up.
- Layer your toppings; cheese, bacon, avocado, onion, more cheese. Add your other piece of bread, cream cheese side down.
- Squish sandwich down with your spatula, cook for about 4 minutes. I like to add a piece of foil over the top to help melt the cheese quicker. Flip over, and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Slice sandwich in half on a cutting board. Enjoy with some soup!