Mmmm…pasta. I was just in Italy a few months back, and I can’t even explain how tasty their pasta is. All their food was delicious. Oh, especially their gelato! I had gelato everyday I was there. Big surprise there. What I ate and where I ate in Italy will be coming soon. I’m not a huge pasta fan, but I love pasta dishes. I don’t like just sauce and noodles, unless it’s from Italy. There has to be a lot going on and a lot of added ingredients in the pasta for me to like it. Adding chicken and asparagus makes this dish is a full meal in a bowl!
what you need:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup water
- 15 oz can Alfredo sauce (I used Classico Creamy Alfredo)
- 12 oz Penne Pasta (I used Eating Right Gluten Free Corn & Rice Penne)
what you do:
- If you food prepped for the week, and have some cooked, cut chicken, you get to skip step 2 – 3! 🙂
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle olive oil, salt, and pepper, on chicken. Bake until chicken reaches 165 degrees. (30 – 45 minutes, ovens vary)
- Once chicken is cooked, let cool for 10 minutes, cut into small cubes and set aside.
- Cut of the ends of the asparagus and wash under cold water.
- Place asparagus in a large skillet with 1/4 cup water and cover with foil. Cook on medium/high heat for 10 minutes. Asparagus will cook and steam nicely.
- Once asparagus is done, using kitchen scissors (cut directly over skillet) or a knife (cut on cutting board), cut asparagus into one-inch pieces. Place asparagus back in skillet.
- Start boiling a pot of water for your pasta.
- With skillet on medium heat, add chicken cubes and stir in with the asparagus.
- Squeeze one whole lemon on the chicken and asparagus, continue to saute for 5 minutes.
- Add can of pasta sauce to the skillet, mix well. Stirring periodically, cook until sauce is starting to bubble. Reduce heat, cover with a lid, and simmer.
- Your pasta water should be ready now (boiling). Add pasta to boiling water, and cook for 8 minutes (or to desired softness), stirring frequently. Once done, strain pasta and add cooked pasta back into the pot.
- Pour your simmering, chicken, asparagus, yummy sauce into the pasta pot.
- Mix all together. Serve right away while hot!