I love my food mixed. If I made ground turkey, sweet potatoes, and cooked carrots, I would put a little bit of ground beef, a piece of sweet potato, and a carrot on my fork, before each bite. To save myself the hassle, why not just mix it all together to begin with? This meal has a bit of a Fall sweetness to it that’s delightful. Hmm, I wonder if adding a little bit of pumpkin spice would have tasted good? I’m sure it would have paired nicely with the nutmeg. Next time!
what you need:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- salt/pepper to taste
what you do: (serves 2-4)
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a medium sized skillet. Add your ground beef.
- While meat is browning, prep the potatoes.
- Scrub the potatoes with a potato scrubber under running water. Dry them off with a towel/paper towel. Place them in the microwave on a microwavable safe dish, cook for 7 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes, and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes, prior to cutting them into pieces.
- Add the cut potato pieces in a large ziplock bag with 1 tablespoon coconut oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Seal the bag. Shake and move the potatoes around until each one is coated with the coconut oil. Set aside.
- Meat should be brown at this point. (If they were brown prior to being done with the potato prep, turn the flame off, until you get to this point.) Drain only 1/2 of the juices from the pan.
- With meat simmering on low, add cumin, garlic powder, and nutmeg to the browned meat, stir in well.
- Add the potatoes to the meat, mix well. Continue to simmer on low.
- While potatoes and meat are simmering, prep your carrots. In a medium sized skillet on medium heat, add 2 cups of shredded carrots and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, until carrots are cooked down and soft.
- Add the carrots to the simmering pan of meat and potatoes. Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Dish up, eat, and enjoy!