I naturally eat about 75% paleo in my normal diet, but I decided to challenge myself and do strict paleo for 2 weeks. I was feeling blah, just from the weight-gain I am getting from some medicine I am taking, so I wanted to just fill my body with good nutrients for the next couple weeks. My goal in this was not to loose weight, but to feel good. I’m not going to lie, but I don’t think 100% paleo is for me. My body can handle dairy in moderation (like ice cream!), and all gluten-free carby items, (like gluten free pizza crust!) so I never felt 100% satisfied during those 2 weeks. I was determined to finish out the 2 weeks, and I did. However, I did notice I felt a little bit better after the 2 weeks. Sometimes it is good to do mini challenges like that to keep you on your toes. I think my problem with paleo, is I tend to lean more towards the high fat foods, like avocado, almond butter, and paleo baked goods, too much. I think that next time I want to challenge myself, I will do the Whole 30, which omits making non-paleo foods that are technically “paleo approved” like, pancakes. Paleo takes a lot of food prepping, and grocery shopping. You always have to be prepared and plan out what you will eat, or else last minute, your starving self will pick something up to chow down on that is not paleo approved. Here is some of the food prep I did on Sundays for my paleo week that was ahead.
- Hard boiled a dozen eggs.
- Cooked up a package of turkey bacon.
- Baked chicken, then cut in small pieces.
- Rinsed and cut up broccoli crowns.
- Made a baked-good. Like these Paleo Espresso Bean Muffins.
Here are some items from the food prepping, that I took on-the-go, for some breakfast and lunches for my working days.
Breakfast: (pictures below)
- 3 egg whites, 2 turkey bacon, 1/2 avocado. w/ some carrots on the side. (always make sure to have veggies with every meal.)
Cut up the egg whites, turkey bacon, and avocado. Throw everything into a tupperwear, shake it up, and eat!
- 3 egg omelette (2 full eggs with yolk, and 1 egg white), w/ turkey bacon and whatever vegetables you have in your fridge at the time.
Cut up the vegetables and turkey bacon, whisk together w/ the eggs, cook over medium heat on a small skillet.
- Green Apple slices w/almond butter and a Paleo Muffin.
Slice apples, w/ 2 tablespoons of almond butter on the side…and your muffin!
Lunch: (pictures below)
- Turkey avocado roll ups w/ a Paleo Muffin.
Lay out turkey lunch meat, add a few avocado peices and some mustard, and roll together.
- Kale salad w/ chicken (other optional toppings, avocado, eggs, almonds…I’ll add toppings depending on what I already had for the day. For instance…If almonds is going to be my snack, I wouldn’t add almonds.