I decided to eat strictly paleo for the next 2 weeks, right before a bachelorette trip for a good friend of mine. Given that I’ll be in a bathing suit all day, and shorts or dresses in the evenings, I knew I would feel more comfortable and better about my self if I watch what I eat for the next few weeks. I eat 75% paleo naturally, so it isn’t too much of an adjustment in my diet. I just find it requires more food prepping, planning, and grocery shopping. I came home with this first shopping trip with about 12 bananas! I didn’t know what I was going to do with them, but I knew they would somehow be used, given that bananas are a staple ingredient in my paleo diet. I froze a handful of them for smoothies, and left the rest sitting on the counter. One evening after dinner, I was staring at my stack of browning bananas and decided I needed to do some baking. I created a banana, chocolate, coffee flavored sort of muffin. Who knew banana and coffee flavor would go so well together? The muffin put a huge smile on my face in the morning, while I was enjoying it with my cup of black coffee. Luckily, I drink black coffee anyway, didn’t have to change that!
What you need: (serves 1-2)
- 3 mashed bananas
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ Almond Flour
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coffee grounds
- ¼ cup dark chocolate espresso beans
what you do:
- preheat oven to 375
- line muffin tin, with muffin liners. Or if you have a silicon muffin pan, spray the bottom with coconut oil spray.
- mash banana, with a fork or a potato masher, in the bottom of a mixing bowl.
- add 4 eggs to the bowl, whisk together.
- Add almond flour, maple syrup, cocoa powder, baking powder, and coffee grounds to the bowl, stir everything together.
- Put espresso beans in a ziplock baggie, using a hammer or something heavy, mash them until they are in small pieces and chunks.
- Stir in the mashed espresso beans.
- Divide batter into 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for 30 – 35 min.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before eating. Store in an air tight counter for up to 2 days, then store in the refrigerator microwaving for 10 seconds before eating.