Egg salad tastes fantastic w/ plantain chips, even better than sticking it between 2 pieces of bread! I cooked real plantains the other day for the first time, and ate them as chips, but their texture was more like fries. Anyway, I had the idea of cutting them up and mushing them in my egg salad. It worked perfectly, because the texture of the plantains just mixed well and blended in with the yolk and egg salad mixture. Try it, you won’t be disappointed.
what you need: (serves 1-2)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 plantain, sliced into small pieces
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 3 hardboiled eggs
- 2 tbsp. just mayo (the best mayonnaise!)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- pepper to taste
what you do:
- heat 1 tbsp. of coconut oil in a medium sized skillet.
- Add half of your sliced plantains into the skillet.
- Cook on each side for about 4 – 6 minutes, sprinkles about ½ tsp. of sea salt on one side.
- Remove from skillet, place on a paper towel to cool.
- Repeat with the last of the plantains.
- Peel 3 hard boiled eggs. Slice 3 the eggs (2 regular, 1 w/ the yolk removed into small pieces and add to a mixing bowl.)
- Add mayo, cumin, sea salt, paprika, and pepper to taste to mixing bowl. Mix all ingredients together.
- Cut half of the cooked plantains slices into to small pieces. Add them to the egg salad in the bowl, mix well.
Serve on a bed of lettuce, on a slice of tomato, or just eat plain!
Save the other half of the plantains for a snack for later! They taste delicious with this spicy honey mustard dipping sauce!